About Gladstone's parents

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Mon Nov 18 17:56:00 CET 2002

M.J. Prior wrote:

> Kai Saarto:
>
>>Gladstone as a tragic figure. That would be cool.
>

> I think Gladstone must be a bit lonely. He seems not to need
> nor to have any friends. I think that being an orphan and
> also his parents' only child somehow befits his character.

Good thinking. I've always thought Gladstone a bit too two-dimensional.
I don't recall ever seeing a story where he's not feeling good about
himself (except when he loses some contest to Donald). Maybe extreme
luck could be a cause for loneliness like fame and fortune for the
celebrities of the real world.

> Sigvald:
>
>>It will contradict Egmont's official view of the Duck-
>>universe.
>

> Why? Because Egmont doesn't regard Gladstone's parents as
> being dead, or because Egmont doesn't see Gladstone as a
> tragic character?

If Sigvald meant death, I'd like to say that the Don Rosa handling of
the death of Scrooge's father was extremely well pulled of. Some stories
can be exceptions to these policies, even if its rare.

--
- Kai Saarto
http://www.perunamaa.net/donrosa