The Grandma and the Great-grandma

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 14:55:57 CET 2002

Rob,

"...but he did receive a newspaper every Sunday."

Aha! Elvira only had appeared on three (next to nothing!) Sunday pages at
the time, the last of which had been published a long time (one and a half
year) before Barks drew "Best Christmas". I'd say that adds to my main
argument about the possibility of Barks not being aware of the character at
all. Or maybe he had just forgotten her.

"...he only invented characters, because he NEEDED them for his current
story."

Yes, and, always assuming he didn't know about Elvira, which other of the
characters appearing in Taliaferro's strips he could have used for his
story? Gus Goose? In the strips it was obvious that Donald didn't like him.
So why visit a relative that will ultimately spoil your Xmas. Daisy? She
does obviously live too close to Donald to give Barks the opportunity of
letting all these misadventures in the snow happen. As Xmas is a family
feast he needed a beloved relative that doesn't live too close. So (not
being aware of Elvira) he chose a grandmother. It's nothing special that she
only appeared in one story, because quite a few stories (e.g. WDC 55, WDC
267, and WDC 312) contain relatives we've never heard of again. Even Scrooge
wasn't intended to be used more than once originally.

"In ALL these 38 years that I've had the story, I NEVER even imagined that
she wasn't the same Grandma."

In ALL these 9 years that I've had the story, I ALWAYS thought she's a
different character. ;-)  I like your suggestion that she could be the
grandmother of HDL, regarding her "youthfulness" in contrast to the
great-grandmother Elvira. Although you don't really agree with this, either.

Frank

(What's wrong with me? Normally I hate to argue.)