Scrooge's dubbelganger/Gyro's Great Grandfather

Arthur Faria Jr. arthurfaria at projesom.com.br
Thu Nov 21 06:03:40 CET 2002

Rob Klein:

> So! Gyro's great grandfather (Neco Pardal) was alive during Gyro's
adulthood?

Probably not. The mentioned story (B 890020) shows that Neco Pardal was
an old man in 1889, I'd say 60 years old (but very fit indeed). If Gyro's
adulthood was in the 50s (according to Don Rosa, just to put some
continuity to the matter), then Neco Pardal would be about 110 years
old then! But nothing is impossible in comics...

Just for information, "Neco" is a short for "Maneco", which is
a nickname for "Manoel". So, the real name of Neco Pardal
is actually Manoel Pardal (or Manoel Gearloose...)

> He must be the father of Barks' Ratchet Gearloose (grandfather of Gyro).

Not necessarily... Gyro has four great-grandfathers,
so the chances are 25% that "my" Neco Pardal was Ratchet's father.
Personally,
I like to think he is not.

Ratchet was a contemporary of the YOUNG Scrooge.  That means
> neco is old enough to be Scrooge's father!!!

...Ratchet's father, you mean? See answer above.

> Regarding the lookalike cousin of Scrooge, who is a beggar:  I seem to
recall
> something similar in the early 1960s (or very late 1950s), drawn by Jack
> Bradbury.  It was a story with a bum (beggar) that looked just like
Scrooge.  I
> don't think he was related to Scrooge. I believe it was an S-coded story.

I don't remember that story... but this look-alike bum could be the
same character, reused later in those S-coded stories of the 70s.

Fernando, about the beggar cousin:

> He's called Nadinhas or Galtério here in Brazil, right?

> I've put an scan of him here:
> http://www.inducks.hpg.com.br//Imagens/Nadinhas.jpg

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention his Brazilian names.
Does anybody know his English name?

-----

Still talking about relatives, there are many other
ancestors in Brazilian stories. For instance,
only in the series "History of Duckburg" from the
early 80s we can find at least a dozen of them:
ancestors of the Ducks, Carioca, O'Hara, Mickey,
Goofy, Pete, Phantom Blot, Beagle Boys, etc...,
from prehistorical ages to the 1930s.

-- Arthur.
   (Just wondering... has Goofy a surname?)