Brazilian "In"Production...

Fernando Ventura fernandopventura at uol.com.br
Thu Nov 21 16:18:53 CET 2002

Harry asked Arthur:

>I heard you talking about a stop before, presumably in 1998. Can I conclude
>that they started again in 1999, and stopped for the second time in 2001?

Yes, they stoped production in the end of 1997, when they fired the editor
Primaggio Mantovi and all the writers and artists. The only artist that
remained in Abril was Eli Leon.

In 1998, as far as I remember, Abril just produced some Hercules stories.

The few production from 1999 was mainly with Zé Carioca, and most of then
are draw by Leon. (There's also some Tarzan stories on that period)

In the end of 1999 the actual editor was Euclides Miyaura, and he started to
develop an totally new production, new comics (never concretizided) and new
artists. It's the "Studio's era", since most veteran Disney artists had
oppen their own Studios. But Miyaura doesn't received support from Abril's
managers.

The actual editor and editor in-chief doesn't look to care about Disney
Comics...

As a matter of fact, all the drop from the last decade can be seen as a
direct consequence from Waldyr Igayara's exit from Abril in 1989, since he
was able to impose and got respect from Editora Abril and Disney-Brazil
managers during the time he was editor.

I think Arthur can add some coments on this topic...

Fernando!