Grandma's aunt Klaziena, cousin Douglas: Tintin spoof?

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Mon Nov 25 18:07:19 CET 2002

To Gilles Maurice:

Have you already added Grandma's aunt Klaziena to your tree?
She appeared in a Freddy Milton (?) story in the Dutch DD weekly
this year (somewhere around the issue with the new Jippes JW
story). Grandma tells Gus about how she inherited the farm from
her aunt. Her (Klaziena's) parents and her lover are also shown.
(That's four new characters.) I didn't buy the issue, so I'm afraid I
can't provide you with any scans. Maybe her name was Klazien,
not Klaziena.

If you tried to fit her into Don Rosa's Tree, I'd say she must be a
sister of Gertrude Gadwall (Grandma's mother), because Klaziena's
father is not Cornelius Coot.

About cousin Douglas McDuck:

This character is already in Gilles' tree. I don't know if he's the
same 'beggar cousin' as mentioned earlier on this list, but that's
not the point I want to make. The first page of the story he appears
in (D 99252) seems to be a sort of spoof (plagiate?) on the first
page of Hergé's Tintin-album 'Coke en stock' ('The Red Sea
Sharks').

Donald reads a comic in which two superheroes encounter
someone they haven't met in years. $crooge thinks it's ridiculous:
he hasn't seen, for example, his cousin Douglas in years. Would
that mean he's about to meet him at the corner? Guess what
happens.

In 'Coke en stock' Tintin and captain Haddock encounter general
Alcazar in exact the same way: They're on their way home from
the cinema and Haddock thinks the movie had a bit of a weak plot,
because in the end somebody turns up unexpectedly after he'd
been lost for years. Etc.

Michiel Prior.

P.S.: In Dutch, the two superheroes in Donald's comic were named
Snavelman and Bekje. I wonder what this might have been in the
original version. A neat English translation would be Beakman and
Billy, but there's most probably no English version. The story
appeared in Dutch DD Extra 2002-6.

P.P.S.: Général Alcazar has the same first name as oncle Picsou
($crooge): Zazar (Balthazar). [OT]