gemstone

john garvin jgarvin at bendcable.com
Mon Nov 25 22:33:27 CET 2002

Here's what I would like to see from Gemstone:

For them to pay Don Rosa for using his stories in US comics, even if
they don't have to.

For a hard cover collected works of Don Rosa which reprints Don Rosa's
stories in prestige format, for which Don Rosa would get royalties.

As I've written on this list many times over the years, I think Disney's
(and Egmont's) work-for-hire policies are a disgrace.  These are just my
opinions and I'm not starting any letter writing campaigns, but it
really is too bad that this is even an issue.  Is there really anyone
who thinks it is fair that a publisher, even Gemstone, has the moral
right to make money over and over again from work that was paid for just
once?  Most other forms of entertainment and publishing enterprises long
ago started paying their creators royalties and a share of the profits.
The wonder is not that Don Rosa is on strike now, the wonder is that he
ever agreed to these terms in the first place, and didn't take up
something far more profitble and less troublesome, like chicken farming
in Death Valley.

jg