Wuwelak (more)

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Wed Nov 27 22:43:47 CET 2002

For our Greek members regarding Wuwelak: I remember reading about an evil
spirit (of bad luck) called "Vrovoleka" or "Frovoleka" from a Greek story.
There was also an American film from 1940 or 1941, starring Boris Karloff which
included that old Greek legend. he played a general in the Greek army, who
ordered the entire populace of an island to remain in quarantine, as his army
doctor had found bubonic plague there.  The old-fashioned supersticious
islanders claimed that the outbreak of plague was caused by the "Frovoleka"
(evil spirit). They claimed that the "murderous general and his evil war" had
brought that evil spirit to the island as a punishment.  The "Frovoleka" is
supposed to suck all the life out of its victims (as a vampyre).  This is very
close to "Wuwelak" (noting that the letter "W" in Germanic and Slavic languages
is pronounced as English "V", as is the Greek sound in the same position in
that word.  Could the Frovoleka have the same original ancient Indo-European
source as the (Slavic?) terms we remember as meaning "monster", "vampyre", and
changeling spirit?

Rob
Klein