Douglas McDuck

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Wed Nov 27 20:40:53 CET 2002

To Lars Jensen and Gilles Maurice:

Wow! I never realised the writer of "Gall in the family"
could also be on this mailinglist and yet there you are,
Lars! Thanks for your explanation.

It's a pity your editor wouldn't allow your homage to Hergé
to be shown more explicitly (i.e. show a Tintin album in the
artwork) but I still like it! :)

> in the story (at least in the french version), Douglas
> tells "the McDucks
> have always been the most intelligent in the family"...
> so it implied that he wasn't a Mcduck...

In the Dutch version it's only "your side of the family", so
this could be only a matter of translation. Douglas could
have meant "Scrooge's father's side" as opposed to "Douglas'
father's side". Their fathers could still be brothers, so
Douglas could still be a McDuck.

Perhaps it's a suggestion to take Scrooge's 'Scottish'
cousins as sons of Jake McDuck, and his 'American' cousins
as sons of Pothole?

Michiel Prior.