Donna & Mac

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Oct 14 20:17:24 CEST 2002

John Crocker said:
> For instance, in Mickey's Christmas Carol, new characters are
> not being introduced into the Disney world, but already existing
> well-known characters are acting out Dickens' characters.

Yes, this is an angle Disney does take and would indeed explain
the Daisy/Donna dilemma, as is the simpler explanation Disney
uses that Donna is Daisy's former name.  Still, as far as comics
go, it would appear, based on commentary by those who have access
to those early comic strips, that Donna & Daisy are distinctly
seperate characters (at least in comics) for the basis of the
DCML.  Thus, it could be said that, in the films, Daisy & Donna
are the same person, but in comics they are not.

As for such vehicles as "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (Dec. 16, 1983)
I love how they managed to sneak some comics-ONLY characters in,
such as a cameo of Grandma Duck at the Barn Dance, though she did
make a brief "speaking role" in the TV version of  "This is your
Life, Donald Duck" (Mar. 11, 1960).  I'm not sure who voiced her,
but it sounded like June Foray.  And speaking of April, May & June
(which I did in my last posting), they have made their cameo
appearance in Disney's "House of Mouse" episode "Ladies Night"
(Feb. 23. 2002) where they replaced houseband regulars Huey, Dewey
and Louie as an "All-girl" band.  Minnie actually introduces them
as "Daisy's neices: April, May & June."  Minnie's own neice, Melody
has made a few probable appearances, though she has yet to called
"Melody" or even "Minnie's neice" such as "Mickey's Christmas
Carol" where she played the role of Bob Crachtet's daughter and as
an orphan girl in the "Mickey's MouseWorks" cartoon "Around the
World in 80 Days" (June 5, 1999).  And Gladstone Gander made his
debut in the DuckTales episode, "Sweet Duck of Youth" (Oct. 21,
1987) and had a leading role in "Dime Enough for Luck" (Dec. 4,
1987).  Others, like Magica de Spell, Glittering Goldie, the
Phantom Blot and Chief O'Hara have also made the leap from comics
to film.

Thanks,

Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com