Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Tue Oct 15 21:20:49 CEST 2002

Thomas Johnson

> >From one Disney comics fan to all you others...a question...

> Is there a place on the internet where Disney Comics fans can network
=
> with each other by email? =20
I don't think so - On the other hand there might be places where you
can
download comics online. I could think of a few - and I would just
advice you to search for them on google or the like. As could anyone
from the
company in question do - but we seldomly hear from them, copyrightwise.

> With all this file-sharing going on over the internet (mp3 files,
etc.) =
> why don't fans of Disney comics get together and share scanned
stories =
> with each other?  It could be done person-to-person by email, or the
=
> scanned files could be shared on a site such as Kazaa.com.=20
Believe me, Kazaa would maybe not be a good idea, but I don't know.
Kazaa is maybe a bit more easy for "them" to spot than just usual
uploading
on a page. - But it might go on, without my knowing.

> I brought this issue up once before, and a polite reply was posted =
> bringing up the copyright issue, period-end-of-discussion.
Well, is it the end of the question.
What you suggest is some email-thing - I would sugest uploading to a
page that
one would only tell a certain group of persons about, perhaps with a
password or so.
(That's easier than with email, which requires some more online-being,
depending
what connection you have - AFAIK)
This would make this "for private use" and there's nothing illegal in
that AFAIK.
Actually, in the danish weekly the text about copyright says that it's
forbidden to use the content in commercial connections - meaning you're
not allowed
to get any money out of copying or scanning - well, noone would do that
in
the groups where I am - Lets say we have had a story online, which will
now be taken down.
Not at one point have we gotten any money from it. We've just been
trying to serve fans in
eg. the United States that have sadly have no access to Duck comics
since 1998.

> I know there are copyright issues, but heck.  The Disney Company has
locked up the =
> old comics and isn't letting anybody reprint them.
That wouldn't be a  reason for them.

> These classic =
> stories are works of art that are being lost.  New generations of
kids =
> are missing out on something special.
Neither that - Nor do I suffer from the believe that Disney would
listen if we say we have
earned nothing on having one or two comics online untill publication in
our area -
So what can we say? It might very well be illegal - but some kind of
moral told us to do it -
that would be the same with this case, to let the kids read them too -
(But how many eg.
american kids would be interested?)

> And with all due respect, if a person emails someone a scanned Disney
=
> comic story, who would know?
There are ways - but in that case it would be personal use - sending a
file to a friend is not illegal.

> Am I the only person out here who is interested in this?
No. But I'd like to hear others issues about this.