Checkers

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Sat Sep 7 15:30:21 CEST 2002

JOHN, HARRY, KRITON 'n' all

>>>It was about the Beagle Boys stealing from Scrooge
>>>a magical checkboard
>
>>When was this published?  It sounds like it could have been based on an
>>Uncle Scrooge gag in which Huey, Dewey, and Louie try to trick Scrooge

>I think that's the ending gag of "Mathmagic Land"

So it is, only trick of the memory is that DONALD is playing the stunt,
for once, while the kids think he's gone insane, selling his house for
what seems a few pennies.

And yes, the italian story is indeed "Paperiade", from Topolino #202-204.

Both stories are from 1959, with the italian one slightly earlier, from
january, but I believe Kriton is right in thinking the well-known legend
about the inventor was the common inspiration for both these stories, as
well as the more recent one quoted by Paolo.

Actually, the legend is also quoted by Donald himself in the
Mathmagicland story, while making sure Scrooge never heard of it
before offering the deal to him. (The beheading was omitted, though :-)

Cheers

Eta Beta