Teaming of Mickey and Goofy

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:23:41 CEST 2003

Thanks David and Ola for replying.

Ola:

In the daily Gottfredson strip Mickey and Goofy only were a team on 8
stories in the 30:ies and  4 in the 40:ies.  I only count longer
adventure stories. Then they teamed up again in some stories in the
50:ies. In most of the daily strip adventure stories Mickey were alone
or with Eega Beeva.

David:

IMHO, the tradition of Mickey and Goofy as an *unbreakable* pair,
*always* together, really starts in the late 1940s and early 1950s at
*Western Publishing*. Why?
	Because Western had two fundamental funny animal plot types at the
time: the "Donald Duck" (put-upon lead accompanied by smart kids, bossy
girlfriend, and nasty neighbor) and the "Andy Panda" (straight man hero with
a wacky sidekick, most typically fighting crime). Fitting Mickey and Goofy
into formula two made them easy to write for. So they ran with it.

Myself:

I have to say I find the rather "unspectacular" reasons (for lack of a
better word) leading to this winning team fascinating. Even more fascinating
is the fact that it took nearly 20 years until Mickey and Goofy became the
*unbreakable* duo we know today from the adventure stories.

So, to conclude, it is probably not too far-fetched to say that Gottfredson
laid the seed for the duo, but others provided its breakthrough. Speaking of
Western Publishing, the honour probably goes to the prolific Paul Murry/Carl
Fallberg team. You can count the number of Murry-drawn MM adventure stories
NOT including Goofy on the fingers of one hand. In Italy, the same was true
for the dominant and influential writer Guido Martina, who began to write MM
stories in 1948. He certainly should be given some credit, too.

Frank