Q: Daisy Duck "Statue in Underwear" C. Coot?

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Apr 6 23:29:06 CEST 2003

timo ronkainen <timoro at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question about Daisy Duck story
> (Statue in underwear) W OS 995-04 in one-shot
> comic book "Donald Duck Album" May 1959.
> In the Finnish translation newly erected
> statue is one of Cornelius Coot (Julle
> Ankanpää), founder of Duckburg. Is it really
> the case with original? Statue doesn't look
> like Cornelius Coot at all and in story there
> appears a character, old long bearded duck,
> who remembers what kind of clothing Coot weared
> in the days of founding of Duckburg, because he
> was there! Huh?

Take a look here:
http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/story?W+OS+995-04

This story is drawn by Tony Strobl and seems to be one of many "fictious"
storys made before 1818, in the late 1980s, was established as the year
Cornelius Coot came to Duckburg - a year that fits very well into the actual
history of the actual area of the North American western coast.

Nobody born early enough to remember events that took place in 1818 could
possibly still be alive in 1959. And if one selects to disregard the year
1818 the situation in this Strobl-story becomes even more weird because the
famous Norwegian Donaldist Jon Gisle has once described Cornelius Coots
clothing as typical for the 1700s rather than for the 1800s.

Sigvald :-)