Fluks Fix Shop

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Apr 14 10:50:19 CEST 2003

Michiel wrote:

> 'Gyro's First Invention' has finally been published in
> Holland.
> On the third page, first panel, Fulton Gearloose's shop
> window says: 'Fluks Fiks Winkel, eig. Harry Wortel'.
> Translation: 'Quickly Fix Shop, owner: Harry Gearloose'.
> In Dutch, Gyro's father is named after Harry Fluks!

The translator of the story, Piet Zeeman, came up with the
name "Fluks Fiks Winkel". He doesn't know me, it's just a
funny sounding name. When the editor Jos Beekman, who *does*
know me, saw this translation, he decided to name the
owner Harry.
So it's *half* a coincidence that the story refers to me.

> 'Harry' is already Fulton's third Dutch name. In Lo$ 10,
> it was 'generaal Fulton', in 'Guardians of the Lost
> Library', it was 'Willem Wortel'. But 'Willem' is also
> Ratchet Gearloose.

When I told Beekman about this, he said he didn't remember
having used the other names. But he quickly replied "of course
his full name is Harry Willem Fulton Wortel". 8-)

> By the way, Harry, isn't Willem also *your* second name?

Yes.

> In three panels, the Dutch editor added thought-bubbles to
> Little Helper, which is a bit disturbing. Does this have
> something to do with Thom Roep's 'golden rule' that *each*
> panel should have text in it, otherwise readers will just
> skip the panel?

I didn't ask the editors about this, but your reasoning
sounds plausible to me.
(I would call it a general Dutch policy, not just Thom Roep's.)

--Harry.
--Willem.
--Fulton... er...