"Atom Bomb" and "Marco Polo"

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Tue Apr 22 13:21:43 CEST 2003

Fernando:

> Is it possible to a not-american Disney publisher, let's say,
> Editora Abril,
> to publish Carl's "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" and "Treasure of
> Marco Polo" in
> their original form (NOT censored)? I mean, if they do that,
> won't it be a problem with the Disney Corporation?

The Dutch published Atom Bomb (I think the first reprint in the world)
in 1975, uncensored. They have been (and are still) using this same
version in every reprint, without any problems with Disney.

It seems that Disney's judgement differs from country to country.

> As far as I know this two stories are censored just in the Carl Barks
> Library.

They are also censored in all Gladstone/Disney Comics reprints afterwards.

Frank:

> "In Darkest
> Africa" (MOC 20), although in the latter case it wasn't the
> censorship that ruined the story forever, was it? :-)

Not forever: there's an Italian reprint now, using the original
Barks drawings.

--Harry.