Extra DD Extra in the Netherlands

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon Aug 4 17:28:31 CEST 2003

Michiel wrote (on July 21st):

> > extra Donald Duck Extra 7 1/2
> > D 2002-033 - 26 pages - US - Dream of a Lifetime (Rosa)

Interesting detail: every time Scrooge sees Donald in his dream, he says the same words ("asjemenou").
These kind of things could easily have gone wrong when a careless translator would have done the job.

> Notice that the Dutch editors utterly failed to comprehend
> Don's 'fool-proof system' and published the extra
> recap-page
> as well. Well, maybe we should regard it as a BONUS-page.
> :)

Personally, I'm happy they used the page. I'm a Rosa completist...

> >H 9879 - 1 page - DD - special place for smokers in
> >restaurant (Milton?)
>
> It doesn't look like Milton to me. Could this gag've been
> drawn by ROB KLEIN? (The artwork even looks a bit
> Strobl-ish.)

This is Sander Gulien. A young artist who still hasn't quite found his own style yet. This explains why his artworks resembles Milton and Strobl (and Jippes and others) on places.

> > D 2001-135 - 14 pages - DD - potion that weakens enemies
> This is certainly a Rota story. (Andold 'Wild Duck') Is
> Andold
> really a SCOTTISH warrior? The pirates in this story look
> much more Scottish (wearing kilts).

Andold is Scottish (Caledonian) alright. The modern-time Donald doesn't wear trousers, so it can be expected that a Scottish Donald doesn't wear a kilt... 8-)

> > RPDD 2503 - 1 page - US - greengrocer is an old classmate
>
> This must be Toby Strobl.

A funny gag from my youth; US 36 (in Holland in DD1970-09). I have no idea what the weird code "RPDD 2503" is supposed to mean.

--Harry.
http://bolderbast.inducks.org