About G. Blum and reference points (plus, a little credit to Gemstone)

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Thu Aug 7 18:53:39 CEST 2003

Kriton:
> > As for the Blum
> > story, I haven't read it, but if it was about
> > Donald discovering that he could download
> > music, then downloading tons of songs, despite
> > his nephews' warnings that what he was doing
> > was illegal, and finally ending up owing a
> > huge bill to McDuck Records, then I'd say he
> > was in character!

In my opinion, it was MORE in character than this, but as saying what would
spoil the story, I won't...

As to "World Wide Witch", I _loved_ the story. Parts of it I didn't understand
(Magica's first plan) until I read Blum's explanation in the latest "Uncle
Scrooge". Let me ask a plain question to everybody out there: Do you think it
would have been easier for me to understand the "wicca" part of the story if I
had been an American? Open question.

Sigvald:
> This is *not* only about the character's character. Downloading music from
> the internet definately countradicts Barks. Barks-style stories should IMO
> take place in the mid-1950's +/- a decade.

Please, make up your mind! "Definately" or "IMO"? There's a gap inbetween there!

> It's in that aspect this G. Blum
> IMO seems to fail in showing respect for Barks. When I say "seems to" it's
> because Egmont may have told him to do so.

I doubt they have. I say that after reading Blum's explanation to the story in
Uncle $crooge #320, where Blum explains how this is one of several stories where
he tries to pull Barks' Ducks into the twenty-first century.

Speaking of this explanation, I would have to add one comment: THANK YOU to
Gemstone for not being as narrow-sighted as Scandinavian editors when it comes
to names of creators. Now, seeing GEOFFREY BLUM writing an article like this is.
.. for me, as a Scandinavian, _amazing_. Over here, that right has been reserved
for Don Rosa for years... or at least so it seems. Don Rosa's written explaining
articles to many of his stories, and when seeing that Gemstone also prints such
articles from OTHER creators... Wow. No offense to Rosa, but I'm getting
terribly tired of all the "Don Rosa is the only Duck creator worth reading" yabb
going on over here! As Blum is a creator I don't know much of, it was thrilling
to read this article on how "World Wide Witch" was made. Now I wait in
excitement for the next Uncle $crooge, to see what exciting article can be found
there (if any - I was a little disappointed to not find any in WDC&S #634, but..
.)

Olaf the Blue