VP1 - Donald's Grandma Duck

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 9 00:08:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/story?W+VP+1-09

I recently read this story for the first time, and while I don't think it's
that brilliant, rather a succession of harmless gags than a story, I think
it is seriously underrated - it wasn't even printed in the CBL in Color.

Apart from showing Barks' drawing style in its prime and, as it is usually
noted, featuring the first appearance of Gus Goose in a Barks story
(although he didn't write it), there's still much more to it. I did some
research and it seems to me that this story is an important one in many
ways:

1. It's the first story ever to combine Grandma with Gus Goose
2. It's the first story ever in which Gus is actually talking and becoming a
slightly less flat character than in the short film and Taliaferro's
newspaper strips, i.e. eating is not EVERYTHING in his life.
3. It's the first story ever depicting Grandma's farm. (Was it actually ever
mentioned in the newspaper strips that she owned one?)
4. It's the first story ever featuring Grandma's car, which undoubtedly is
the second best-known vehicle in Disney comics.

A story of many debuts indeed. Just had to get that off my chest. Of course
I know I won't get any reply and that our Italian friends probably have
discussed this ages ago, without my knowledge... ;-)

Frank

Corrections welcome!