DCML Digest, Vol 6, Issue 10

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Aug 9 16:49:30 CEST 2003

DANIEL J. NEYER to SIGVALD GROSFJELD, 08-08-2003:

> Sigvald, you are absolutely right when you say that Blum uses
> Barks to promote himself. I've always been somewhat wary of Blum
> and his take on the Ducks' world since he started writing those
> strange analytic articles about Barks' stories.

Geoffrey Blum has also written very good, informative and revealing
articles. I've learned quite a lot from his articles. When I read
his articles I am aware that I have an opinion of my own, and
sometimes I'm a bit sceptical about some of his theories and the
way he presents them. In other words, his articles inspire me to
think for myself. (I don't know if that is Blum's intention, though.)
If Blum would write bad articles, they only would anger me.

> To Blum, the Ducks are not characters, but puppets for acting out
> social-politico-psychological satires. I don't think that Barks
> ever said to himself "I think I'll satirize this particular trend
> or this particular invention in this new story"--any satire that
> occurred in a Barks story was supplementary to the plot.

I agree with you that the story should not be used as a servant for
a satire or an opinion. I don't if that's what Blum is doing, though.

--- Daniël