Sigvald and (his new windmill) Blum

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Aug 10 22:00:57 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to ANDERS SIVEBAEK, 10-08-2003:

>> To judge that, Sigvald, you have to read some of Blum's articles
>> about Barks. [...]
>> From what I've read I'd say he has that respect.

> Maybe in words, but IMO not that much in his works. And it seems
> that I am not the only one. Daniel J. Neyer recently said that he
> basically agree with me when it comes to G. Blum.

And, so what? You (think you) don't stand alone? Yes, and then?
I thought you already learnt that using other list members's names
to validate your opinion, is an unwanted way of discussing here.

> If Blum wants to do modern stories set in the 21st century he should
> come up with his own ideas and not use Barks' name to get attention.
> From what I have read on DCML before Blum uses vague ideas from Barks
> as basis for his stories apparently in order to get attention.

Let's convert it by filling in another innocent name. A name that will
sound familiar to you, so you hopefully and finally will understand how
*unreasonable* and *mistaken* you are about other creators:

"If (Rosa) wants to do (old-fashioned) stories set in the (1950s)
he should come up with his own ideas and not use Barks' name to get
attention. From what I have read on DCML before (Rosa) uses vague
ideas from Barks as basis for his stories apparently in order to
get attention."

See? Doesn't sound very nice and reasonable, does it?

(Well, what do we care! This is a public mailing list and every piece
of nonsense may be freely expressed by calling it an "opinion". Right?
And if someone complains, then it's because of the heated atmosphere
that *coincidentally* surrounds us, every time we pop up.)

And there are also a lot of other creators like Daan Jippes, William
Van Horn, Patrick Block, Romano Scarpa, etc., who are all yearning
for attention by using vague ideas from Barks. And I ask you, who
has to pay the bill for all their misguided almost-evil apocryphal
creations? Yes, the poor comic book collector!

Let's reprint The Carl Barks Library and (if only just for you) a
Don Rosa Library. Then we have all what we desire, so we can finally
close down the whole Disney comic book nonsense. That will learn
those attention-seeking creators and those bad editors! Well, their
only rescue would be that they promise to contact *you* first before
making a decision or a creation, so you can *warn* them what is right
and what is wrong wrong wrong. Would that make you happy, Sigvald?
If so, then I'd almost say it's worth it. Please, give me a break!

:-(

--- Daniël

P.S. In case anyone is sleeping, or illiterate: There's a lot of crap
about creators and editors in this email. Don't start jumping on me
by trying to point out the obvious. I might explode.