Barks as a source for dates in the Duck-universe

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Aug 12 04:32:15 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to me, 12-08-2003:

> U$15C "Moving Money". The info given there indicated that the
> Money Bin was raised in 1886, not 1880. But that dosen't change
> my argument. $crooge didn't raise his bin only 6 years old. That
> contradicts every logic.

Still, it might be true.

>>> We both know that Barks din't mean that $crooge raised his Bin
>>> the same year as he was born.

>> When did Barks tell that? Can you mention a source?

> He didn't say that. In the comments to Lo$ chapter X, Don Rosa says
> though, that the Bin couldn't possibly have been raised in 1886.

Rosa has *never* been a source for Barks's stories. (The only possible
exception would be Barks's 1990s script-only stories.) So, this is a
Rosa-fact. No Barks-fact.

>> Maybe Scrooge was a very fast growing duckling, once he came out
>> of his egg. Without clear facts, everything is possible. Therefore
>> we cannot know.

> Based on that statement one could say that maybe you was a fast
> developed child that entered university at the age of 6, because
> without clear facts, everything is possible. Therefore we cannot
> know.

There are kids of 6 years old who can play piano in a virtuous way.
Some of them even compose music. So, maybe Scrooge was a wonder-child.
And wonder-childs definitely do exist.

> IMO consitency and logic is the ingredints that makes Lo$ as great
> as it is.

That's a different subject. The Life of Scrooge is created by Rosa,
not by Barks. Let's finish a subject first, before starting a new one.
You were talking about Barks, not about Rosa.

--- Daniël