One mail - many topics!

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed Aug 13 00:46:30 CEST 2003

Hi all!

In order to help keeping the input to DCML at a decent level I hearby
include my responses/comments to many mail in this one mail (thanks for this
nice ida Olaf!)

Daniel van Eijmeren:
--------------------
>>> Barks made modern stories himself, and Blum
>>> followed that tradition. That's not an
>>> opinion. That's a fact.
>>
>> Barks din *not* set his stories in 2003.
>> That's a fact too.
>
> Barks died in 2000. I don't appreciate this
> morbid comment from you. And you missed my
> point, anyway.

My comment was *not* meant to be morbid, insulting or what so ever. Please
stop reading more into my statements that there really is.

>> Barks didn't say that. In the comments to Lo$
>> chapter X, Don Rosa says though, that the Bin
>> couldn't possibly have been raised in 1886.
>
> Rosa has *never* been a source for Barks'
> stories. (The only possible exception would
> be Barks' 1990s script-only stories.) So,
> this is a Rosa-fact. No Barks-fact.

Not a "Rosa-fact", just a "Rosa-opinion" and thus a very qualified opinion –
not because he is a great artist himself, but because he has read and
studied Barks' stories for almost 50 years.

Anthvvuono at aol.com:
-------------------
> Will we ever see any of the Beagle women
> revealed in a Rosa story for example? Or like
> Maris Crane from Frasier on television, will
> they always remain hidden? I've always wanted
> to see the wife of Blackheart Beagle and if
> she was just as conniving and desirous of
> McDuck's money as Blackheart was (is)? How
> about a story with her and the sons' wives
> finally revealed? Could be interesting to see!

AFAIK there already exists a Grandma-Beagle, perhaps it is in Tony Strobl's
stories, I don't remember exactly. Can anyone help?

Kriton Kyrimis
--------------
>> First I said the exactly same about my
>> ancestors pre-christian beliefs.
>
> So it is OK to insult others, as long as you
> insult your own people first?

No, no, no, I din't mean to insult anyone with the actual statement. Please
stop reading more into my statements that there really is.

Joakim Gunnarsson:
------------------
> PS. One of this lists Norwegian members might
> not want to read it, since it isn't based upon
> facts in Barks or Rosas stories. But I'm pretty
> sure most of the DCML:ers will enjoy it.

Thinking about me? Well then you don't need to worry! Al. Taliaferro is a
well known and highly respected respected artist, so I look forward to se
that story one day!

Mark S.:
--------
>> The same way it would IMO be wrong to set
>> a Poirot or a Ms Marple story to 2003.
>
> Has anyone here read Archie Comics? In the
> 1940s, Archie took place in the forties. In
> the 1990s, Archie took place in the ninties.
> Now, Archie and his gang are all in high school
> circa 2003.

What has this Archie to do with Poirot or Ms Marple who was used in my
example?

Anyway let me give you all a new example:

Elvis Presley did what was modern music from the 1950's until the 1970's.
What many of you here seems to say, is that if someone had access to some
old lyrics written by Elvis, that had never previously been used in any
song, some modern artist could use those lyrics in a modern (2003) hip-hop
context and still claim to be honest and respectful towards Elvis. I guess
most true Elvis-fans wouldn't agree to that, they would instead have wanted
those lyrics to be used with music of classical Elvis style. Got my point
now?

Rich Bellacera:
---------------
> I think there is enough bits-and-pieces
> available to pull together a very interesting
> and exciting backstory for Pete, and weaving
> the various popular Disney icons and other
> characters into his life would certainly only
> HELP bolster his identity among readers. Pete
> is the ONE villain who has indeed penetrated
> the lives of nearly evey other character in
> Mouseton/Duckburg, so his presence is even
> more universal than Scrooge, in fact. He's also
> worked with nearly every other villain in the
> Disney universe at one time or another. Plus
> his life is full of failures, which makes him
> the extreme opposite karmically to Scrooge,
> but probably makes him much more "human" and
> identifiable to readers than Scrooge does.

Yes, that could be done. But if so, it should IMO be done in the same vain
as Lo$. Like Lo$ is based upon Barks, a similar "The Life and Times of Pete"
should IMO faithfully be based upon Gottfredson and/or Murry. Off course
some elements, as his relationship with Petra (his girlfriend in the DD
Pockets), could be added. But IMO there should *not* be any references to
the Ducks what so ever (other that perhaps "hidden Donalds" used as minor
jokes), this because many readers believe that the Duck-universe and the
Mouse-universe are two completely separate universes.

Rick you didn't come up with any candidate for doing the job, but I am sure
that such a clever and serious artist as David Gerstein could do such a tale
in a wonderful way.

Sigvald