SV: The "Pete" Proposition

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed Aug 13 03:51:13 CEST 2003

Rich Bellacera wrote:

>> ...Like Lo$ is based upon Barks, a similar
>> "The Life and Times of Pete" should IMO
>> faithfully be based upon Gottfredson and/
>> or Murry.
>
> Oh no, no no... While I agree that the standard
> for Pete was established in comics by
> Gottfredson, and Murry certainly added a lot
> to Pete (family, partners, etc.), I don't
> believe any creator who took up the task
> should be limited by those two creators...
> for instance, creators like Scarpa and
> Gerstein added some wonderful details and
> they should be considered as well.

Off course, but IMO only if they don't contradict major "paradigms"
established by Gottfredson and/or Murry. The reason I think so is the
necessity for consistency in such a major work.

>> But IMO there should *not* be any references
>> to the Ducks what so ever
>
> Well, I'm certainly glad those are your
> opinions, but they wouldn't be true to
> Pete's history since he sprang fully created
> from cartoons and I don't think the
> cartoons or comics should be left out as
> available reference material for Pete's
> history...

Personally I think that Don Rosa did well with Lo$ without considering the
various cartoons featuring $crooge, thus I guess it would be possible to do
so with other characters as well. But when this is said, there is IMO
nothing wrong by getting inspiration from cartons either, as long as it
doesn't harm the consistency.

>> (other that perhaps "hidden Donalds" used as
>> minor jokes),
>
> Well, I'm not sure any creator should be a
> Rosa-Clone and copy his idea, and I'm
> not all that certain the "hidden Mickeys" in
> Rosa's work are meant to be flattering or a
> tribute since I think, though I certainly could
> be wrong, that Rosa really doesn't like the
> Mouse side of Disney (or anything not-Duck for
> that matter).

You right, the hidden Mickey's is not there to celebrate Mickey. Anyway my
tip about "hidden Donald's" in this connection was not to make that creator
a Rosa-clone, only a way such a creator could make some references to Don
Rosa and/or even Barks.

> I *think* the "separate" UNIVERSES idea is
> more yours and Rosa's idea than Disney's or
> a majority of Disney fans.

Maybe so, but at least that is one of the issues an artist writing LoP would
face.

Anyway a LoP should IMO be written and drawn by someone well familiar with
the original US version of Pete. For all we know, Europeans may be as
confused about Pete's background as they obvious were about the Ducks family
relations.

Sigvald