Marco Rota's "From egg to duck" story

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Aug 15 01:51:44 CEST 2003

OLAF SOLSTRAND to SIGVALD GROSFJELD, 15-08-2003:

> And of course, there's Carl Barks' Family tree. But even though
> this was drawn as early as in 1950, it hasn't been published.
> OK, it was published in CBL #6, but how many has this book?
> (And when did it come? OK, I assume it was before 1984, when
> "From egg to duck" was written, but anyhow this family tree was
> NOT very well-known in Europe!)

Carl Barks Library set 6 was published in May 1990.
That's about 6 years after Rota's story, but I couldn't care less.
I enjoy the story, that's what matters for me.

> In addition, remember that we for decades had read in Italian
> stories that Scrooge and Grandma were siblings.

I like this thought of Scrooge and Grandma being siblings, it brings
them closer together in the Duck family.

> [...] maybe Rota simply didn't even KNOW that Barks thought that
> Scrooge and Grandma were siblings... YES, I mean that in 1984 you
> should be allowed to call yourself a Barksist without knowing this.

I think that even TODAY, one should be allowed to call himself a
"Barksist" without knowing this (IMO) rather unimportant fact.

> Saying Scrooge were the brother of the wife of the son of Grandma
> was as unlikely in Europe twenty years ago as it would have been
> saying a thousand years ago that Earth were round as a ball.

The earth is WHAT??? :-)

--- Daniël