DCML Digest, Vol 6, Issue 39

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 16:12:59 CEST 2003

Cord wrote:

> Of course it is not "scientific" but it's a nice game. And I think that
> there a lot of celebrities in our days who determine their own
> popularity by entering their own name in Google.

I've noticed the discussions here are already producing evaluations of
the statistical principles - and flaws - underlying these online polls.
I have no head for it myself, believe me, but it seems to me that the
group here could, with time and sufficient levels of interest and
analysis, turn these games into relatively reliable gauges of
popularity.

I, for one, think that would be very useful.

Gary