Italian stories keeping close to American 'originals'

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Sat Aug 16 16:10:35 CEST 2003

Sigvald:

> No, what I was actually trying to say is that the Italian > artists seems to have so strong feelings for their own
> Disney universe that they seem to
> forget that the American Disney universe is the original.

Well, hm, then maybe this is what you should have said
directly, instead of trying to give an example and
proceeding to generalize from it. And I also get a strong
impression that "Many people think Rota failed" is only
your way of *politely* trying to state your own dislike of
*one particular story* by Rota.

Considering your statement above, I think the Italian
stories keep in fact very close to the American originals.
Did you know that Italian Duck-and-Mouse stories, contrary
to the way the stories are represented in other European
countries, are set in an American context? Did you know
the currency used in Italian stories and translations is
the dollar? The police station in the Italian Mouse
stories I've read is an American police station. Most
irregular supporting characters have English names like
Bob, Arthur, Arnold, Billy and 'Scottish' surnames like
McSop, McPerson, McTedious. Topolinia, as Mouseton is
called in those stories, has an American outlook, with
skyscrapers and watertanks on roofs. (And Duckburg is
called Paperopoli. Does Norway have separate names for
Duckburg and Mouseton?)
Gilles' site shows a map from an Italian story in which
Topolinia and Paperopoli are situated in America.

Furthermore, I try to see the efforts of all those
different artists in different countries as pertaining to
the same 'universe', rather than dividing this 'universe'
in different universes for different countries, although I
admit that different artists give a different 'feel'.

Maybe I could illustrate this with an issue of "Zio
Paperone" which I bought in Italy last June [#165] which
has stories from very different countries, instead of
being an all-Italian-issue. All in the same issue are
stories by Cavazzano, Barks, Taliaferro, Milton, Branca,
Scarpa, Strobl and Vicar, all beautifully coloured, with
nice lettering and printed on nice non-glossy paper, and
what's more, this way they're represented as forming an
*unity*, the use of dollars giving an *American* feeling,
even to the stories of Milton and Vicar, which always look
'Dutch' to me.

Maybe you should try and look for similarity, instead of
differences.

Michiel Prior.

P.S.: Did you know that in Italy Pete's still called
Pegleg Pete, even though he has two normal legs? His
Italian name is Pietro Gambadilegno, which means Pete
Wooden-Leg. Don't you think that's just LOVELY? I do!