Covers and lettering

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Sat Aug 16 16:39:48 CEST 2003

Stefan:

> To my knowledge, Gemstone has so far not made any new Disney stories.
> There are two Van Horn covers (1st WDC & 2nd U$) which haven't been
> identified from other publications.  I see that Van Horn obviously is
> working for Gemstone as a letterer, so maybe the covers were made for
> Gemstone as well.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

Bill is not working with Gemstone as an active letterer - not yet,
anyway. What we have used so far is the lettering he has done on the
original art of the stories he's done for Egmont. Bill does this as a
matter of course - a rare inclination among comics artists - although
he knows full well that Egmont has no need for it. On the other hand,
Egmont retains files of his art with his lettering intact, and these
are what we order and use.

The William Van Horn covers Gemstone has published are all original
commissions by Gemstone. Also, we have just worked up our first
original cover from Noel Van Horn, with another one in the works, and
have two original cover commissions in hand from Daan Jippes, who has
also done an original cover for the next edition of the Overstreet
Comic Book Price Guide (one of four variant covers this edition is
slated to have).

Gary