SV: Re: favourite artists

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Aug 16 17:44:58 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren <dve at kabelfoon.nl> wrote:

> What an enjoyable email, Sigvald!

I am glad that you appreciated it!

> - Gottfredson: "The Monarch of Medioca"
> - Murry: "Return of the Phantom Blot"
>
> Interesting! I don't know these stories.
> What are they about?

In "The Monarch of Medioca" Mickey is somehow kidnapped and brought to the
country of "Medioca" in where he takes the king's place as he looks exactly
like the king. In his role as the king Mickey brings the country's economy
back in order and stops a coup d'etat by a close relative of the king.

In "Return of the Phantom Blot" Goofy hits his head and start believing that
he is the Phantom Blot. When it comes to this story I think there is an
error in the INDUCKS/COA database as the second time this story was
published in Danish Anders And & Co (#17-20/1983) it said to be done by
another artist than Murry. Perhaps Harry, Stefan or SKO can take a look at
this?

>> [Rosa's] "Gyro's First Invention" [D 2001-143]
>> is off course special to me because I gave
>> some inspiration to it.
>
> Can you describe what exactly you contributed
> to this story?

The idea of Gyro to be the one to get $crooge's money back from the cave
where it was stuck in the end of "A Christmas for Shacktown" + the idea of
Gyro building Little Helper in order to enter the little Badger's hole + the
idea of using these ideas in a Gyro anniversary story. I think that's about
it.

> I've seen the Little Helper fan-drawing on your
> website, and I like it very much. That must be
> a great souvenir, together with the story
> itself!

Oh yes, it is indeed!

> I supplied the basic idea of showing Rosa's
> Eisner Award as a background detail in one of
> his stories, in order to show the fans how it
> looks like. I didn't expect that Rosa would
> use it, in the expanded Lo$ 12 (ARC US 296)
> as it turned out. So, that was quite a
> surprise.

Well, that was a good idea - really!

> At the end of the story, Donald finds out that
> even the book's writer doesn't eat the results
> of his own recipies, preferring a restaurant
> instead. An expensive one, because he can
> afford it because of the success of his book.
> Very funny!

Ahh! I remember it! Yes that is a funny story!

Sigvald