Two in one

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Sat Aug 16 22:53:54 CEST 2003

SIGVALD:

>>> a) The Italians have completely redrawn the Money Bin, they
>>> either don't like or they don't respect the original look Barks
>>> once gave it.
>>
>> This word "respect" is beginning to give me the creeps, Sigvald. As
>> if your repetitive "name & reputation" statements weren't enough.
>

> I am very sorry. I didn't mean to insult or annoy anyone by my
> remarks about Italian comics.

Hmmm...I really thought things were made crystal clear this time, but I
failed. Sigvald, I don't care (well I do, but that's beyond this debate)
even if you hate every single Italian story. It's beside the point! It
is your choice of words like "respect", "name and reputation". How can
you stay objective and being "scientific" when you have this burdon on
your shoulders, i.e. to always having to defend certain writers and
artists nomatter what it takes.

Listen, it would be perfectly okay (IMHO), if you stated that you do not
like this or those artists at all. Plain and simple. It is your
accusations about them "not having respect" for Barks etc...

> Maybe sometimes, but take a look a panel 1 on page 121 in the last
> "Jumbobog". This is on page 1 of the story coded I-2438-6. There you
> can see that the "Italian" Money Bin both looks very different from
> the Barksian one, both in it's shape and in it's coloring. The
> Italian Bin even has a large dome on the top of it.

See above. So the fact that some Italians put a dome on top of the money
make them guilty in the uh-so-terrible crime of not (yawn!) "respecting"
Barks. It is too far fetched, Sigvald (IMHO and all that). BTW, I see
nothing wrong in the shape and the colouring--didn't even know that
Barks coloured his own stories.

>> Characters *do* develop, Sigvald.
>

> I know that, but I also know that not all development is to the
> better.

And to that I fully agree. However, Rockerduck has developed into a very
interesting character. In Italy (and the places and countries where
these stories are published) Rockerduck is *the* competitor of Scrooge
at least in the pocket books. With Flintheart it's different, I remember
that Carpi used him a few times, but...

>> If I did a similar search on "Osama Bin Laden" and compared that to
>> our Danish prime minister "Anders Fogh Rasmussen", the outcome
>> would be (according to your so-called "scientific" method) that Bin
>> Laden is a much more popular guy compared to Anders.

> But the two are *not* comparable. The first is a extreme and evil
> terrorist, the second a well respected politician. Thus they are
> mentioned on the net for different reasons.

Erm, let's not make Mr. Rasmussen more respected than he is :-) but
apart from that you are right and that is my point. They are mentioned
for two *completely* different reasons and so is many of the names on
your web-poll-analysis. Barks and Rosa are the subject of many many
discussions, and that does NOT necessarily represent a positive
popularity, it merely reflect an interest on the Internet about debating
these artists. And this is why e.g. Olaf rates higher than Tony Strobl.

> It's my assumption that Disney creators is a group of comparable
> individuals who would be mentioned in the internet for the same
> reason. The more popular they are the more they are mentioned.

...and that is a bad assumption. Hope I can leave out that "IMHO", if I
write something, or postulate something is will of course always be in
my humble opinion...

Søren