Scarpa, Pete's leg

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Sun Aug 17 14:19:03 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren to Francesco Spreafico:

> I want to emphasize that I've enjoyed your enthusiastic
> account of Scarpa's work.

And I agree! It's very nice to have a discussion on 'new'
creators whose work I still have to discover. And it's
nice to get suggestions for good stories to start with.
"The Flying Scot" has been printed in Holland in DD
1998-35, so I'll try to get my hands on a copy.

Look! >http://dd50.inducks.org/xned1998.html<

Sigvald:

> It's a Gottfredson-fact that Pete once went around
> with a wooden-leg.

This is, in fact, a Disney-fact from Pete's early cartoon
appearances.

> Pete had his peg leg until 1936 in the cartoons. In the
> comics it lasted until 1941, when the story Mystery at
> Hidden River explained how he had gotten an artifical leg > that looked real. Occasionally he resumed his peg leg in > later stories though, for example in The World of
> Tomorrow (1944).

I found this information at:
>http://stp.ling.uu.se/~starback/dcml/chars/blackpete.html<

Michiel Prior.