The Italian Duck universe

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Aug 17 14:24:41 CEST 2003

Hi all!

As my friends SKO and Olaf have addressed my comments about the Italian
Duck-universe, I find it in place to further express my view in order to end
possible misunderstandings.

First, I do like Italian stories. They are often long and pretty
unpredictable. So I do purchase each Donald Duck Pocket book as soon as they
reaches the stores, and FYI I am the happy owner of all 273 issues that has
been published here in Norway so far. And furthermore I even like most of
the Italian characters (the secretary, the butler, Brigitta, etc.)

Second I do differ between *adding* new characters like Arpine Lúsene, José
Carioca, Panchito Pistoles, etc. (who really don't contradict Barks'
universe), and *changes of what I would like to call constants in Barks'
universe like the look of he Money Bin, the look of Scrooge's secretary, the
fact that $crooge normally doesn't have a butler, etc. The first is
expanding/developing The Duck universe as Barks constituted it – the second
is creating a parallel twin Duck universe based on the old original one that
Barks once constituted. The last may be as interesting and funny to read
about as the first. However monumental tales about the life and history of
characters in the Duck universe should IMHO be based on the original Duck
universe – not its nice twin.

Sigvald