Sigvald's universe

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Aug 17 22:17:48 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to me, 17-08-2003:

>> No, you are referring to the ROSA UNIVERSE, once again...
>> In Barks's universe, these points are no constant "facts" at all:
>> - Scrooge has many different money bins, like the egg shaped one
>> in the super-strong forbidium money bin story (DISBP 1)

> Just a one-time fenomenon.

So what? Glittering Goldie also is a one-time Barks fenomenon.

>> and the Money Bin at a Duckburg street. (The Golden River, US 22.)

> The downtown "bin" also exist in Rosa's interpretation of the
> Duck universe. Just take a look in "The Pied Piper of Duckburg".

That story is based on an unfinished Carl Barks story, in which the
downtown money bin is shown.

For your interest: In Barks's cannonball story (WDC 134), Scrooge
literally calls his downtown safe a money bin.

>> - Scrooge has different secretaries and clerks

> Correct, but unlike Ms Quackfaster they are *not* regular
> characters.

Barks has used Miss Quackfaster only once. In "A Spicy Tale" (US 39).
The so-called debut story "The Midas Touch" (US 36) doesn't mention
her at all. It can be easily be discussed that lady is someone else.

>> - Scrooge has a mansion and a butler

> Only in "Christmas on Bear Mountain". He sold it shortly after,
> early 1948 I would guess - just read the end of Lo$.

You just don't want to get it, or you are just trolling. Or both.
The "Life of Scrooge" is a ROSA series, based on ROSA'S VISION.

>> And that it's not up to you - or me - to tell which style and
>> opinion is superior or inferior? Or do you like to *hurt* people
>> by suggesting that your opinion is superior?

> No I don't. I think however that what often have made me react is
> when people for some reason seems to completely ignore Don Rosa's
> explanations for things in the Duck-universe -

Sigvald, there are people in this universe who call themselves serious
readers and don't care about Don Rosa's work at all. Those people may
be glad, they may be mad, they may be a little sad, (US 22) but they
do have a right to live and enjoy discussing whatever they want to,
without calling your favourite artist in order to make you happy.

There also other people in this universe who just want to write about
Disney comics, without naming your favourite artist. So, they are
not "ignoring" Don Rosa, they're just discussing other subjects.
And these people also have a right to live without being bothered by
your erroneous, obsessed contributions, full of factual mistakes and
complaints.

> even without explaining why they do so.

No one needs to explain that they don't want to discuss Rosa.

> You may ask why I keep thinking that Don Rosa is so important. The
> reasons for that is that Don has put a lot of effort in explaining
> many important sides of the Duck-universe, like when and how Scrooge
> raised his Money Bin, how the Ducks is related, how HD&L joined TJW,
> how Little Helper was created, etc - and always by staying faithful
> to Barks.

Don Rosa is not faithful to Barks's "facts".
He only is faithful to his *own* perception of Barks.

> Even though this *don't* make Don a guru, it still IMO makes him
> important.

Who says he isn't? Don Rosa indeed is *one* out of *many* important
comic book artists. That's a fact that doesn't need to be discussed.
But for 99,99999% of the comic book fans - and for people in general -
that's no reason to call "Don Rosa! Don Rosa!" on just about every
occasion. I might even suggest that you're the only person, Sigvald.
Well, unless Don Rosa has a very big mansion and a habit to be late
for dinner...

>> That's what you're doing when you write that way, because you're
>> attacking their enthusiasm for interpreting comics in their own
>> way and taste. And when people feel attacked they can get very
>> defensive and angry. This results in flaming, and a bad atmosphere.
>> End result is a downward spiral in which NOBODY - including you -
>> is enjoying this mailing list and their comics anymore.

> This sounds very plausible.

So, why do you keep going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on?

> Remember that I am not the only one that have presented "Theorys"
> as they were "facts". One example is people who claim that the
> Ducks in Duckburg were hatched from eggs, even though that's a hot
> potato whenever it comes up here in DCML.

You are the one cooking those hot potatoes and hot duck eggs, Sigvald.
I don't like them.

But before I deliberately ignore your favourite artist's possible
opinion on the matter, I'll hereby ask what Don Rosa thinks about
getting hot duck eggs for dinner. Don Rosa! Don Rosa! Don Rosa!
Do you like hot duck eggs for dinner, Don Rosa?

Are you happy now, Sigvald? If not, think about the higher web poll
rate that Don Rosa might get after being mentioned so many times...

>> A world in which people even hurt each other's fantasies and
>> dreams, is no better than hell. Let's keep that pain and suffering
>> out of our little idyllic DCML-garden. Okay?

> Sounds like a very good idea!

If only it could be true...

--- Daniël