Slang in US Disney comics

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Tue Aug 19 03:19:31 CEST 2003

Hi all!

This week a 16 page mini-booklet is attached to the weeklies in Scandinavia.
This mini-booklet contains 3 stories in English:
----------
KF 02-06-55 M "Goofy" (Walsh/Gonzales)
D 2003-011 "DD: Busybodies" (William van Horn)
KF 01-14-62 M "Goofy" (?)
----------
Furthermore the booklet also includes two pages with samples from Don Rosa's
"On Stolen Time".

The intention with this booklet is that kids can use it in order to learn
English in a fun way: "Learn slang and phrases with DD&Co". Slang and
special phrases are thus well-explained.

Based on this I have some friendly questions:

a) What does Gemstone think about Egmont publishing stories in English (even
though it's for educational purposes)?

b) Was this a wise thing to do by Egmont? (Remember I have previously been
told to avoid "colorful language" in DCML.)

c) I have read somewhere that one explanation of DD&Co's success in Norway
is that the language in it have always been very correct and *not* full of
slang. Is it thus possible that Disney comics with the use of standard
official English would have more success and be easier accepted, than the
present "colorful" version?

Sigvald