Slang in US Disney comics

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:30:09 CEST 2003

>From: "Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr." <sigvald at duckburg.dk>
>To: dcml at stp.ling.uu.se
>Subject: Slang in US Disney comics
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 3:19:31 +0200

>c) I have read somewhere that one explanation of DD&Co's success in Norway
>is that the language in it have always been very correct and *not* full of
>slang. Is it thus possible that Disney comics with the use of standard
>official English would have more success and be easier accepted, than the
>present "colorful" version?

I've got the impression that this was a reasult of parents not liking their
children to read comics, and that the publishers could easier get around
that problem by using politically language in the issues.  Remember, there
are sometimes text written on the back of old issues of Kalle Anka & C:o,
and I suspect that this is also the case with Donald Duck & Co and Anders
And & Co., telling the parents that the issue is NOT dangerous to their
children.  It seems that parents' disliking their children reading comics is
not as serious problem as it was back then, so maybe it is not anymore of
any such importance necessary to use correct language in the issues?  But
then WDC and other American publications made a success even though the
issues contained lots of slang...

Stefan