Fethry / Al Hubbard

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Aug 19 21:07:25 CEST 2003

SOREN OLESEN, 16-08-2003:

> The original Rockerduck as presented by Barks in the 60s has
> developed into one of the most significant and important
> character in the Italian stories. The same goes for Hubbard's
> Fethry who after a few stories got another hair cut--although
> the word "cut" is not too appropriate here ;-)

I like Al Hubbard's Fethry very much, as with his creative and
lively pencil-looking art in general. Scamp certainly isn't my
favourite character, but if it's a Hubbard story, then Scamp RULES!

His ducks look very different from most other artists, but I like
them very much! How can I explain that? It's Al Hubbard, you know. :-)

Fethry is a character that, if treaten right, fills in a gap in
the Duck univ... er... stories. :-) He's like Gottfredson's Goofy.
They have a "magic" elusiveness, and an incredible logic which
only works for themselves, but certainly not for others. That's
what I like about them. (Again, only if treaten right.)

I find it interesting to watch Donald meet someone who's even more
stubborn than he and Gladstone together. And I bet that Fethry
would even give *Gladstone* a hard time in a confrontation. :-)

Al Hubbard definitly would be on my list of favourite artists.
Too bad his stories aren't collected in series at all.

So, yet-another suggestion for Gemstone:
Reprints of Al Hubbard Fethry stories, please!

--- Daniël