Strip Licenses, etc.

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 18:00:43 CEST 2003

Rich Bellacera wrote:

>Argh!  Now it will be longer than ever before all those old
>Bill Walsh,
>Floyd Gottfredson, Al Taliaferro, Merrill de Maris, etc.
>strips ever
>see print again!  Not only do you have to fight for
>decensorship, but
>pay EXTRA for licensing... *sigh*

I'd love to see Fantagraphics reprint some of the old strips you mentioned;
I've been pleased with the comic strip reprints they've produced so far.
Unfortunately, last I heard, the company was in financial trouble, but that might
have been taken care of already. I don't know.

Also, I can't see Disney giving up a license to such an obscure,
"independent" company. Gemstone is just about as "unobscure" as you can get without being
Marvel or DC.

[snip]

>I wonder if Disney has created a seperate licensing fee for
>each film
>too, so we will never (thankfully) see Captain Hook in a
>Mickey Mouse
>comic without the comicbook publisher having purchased the
>Peter Pan
>license first? :-)

Perhaps that would explain why the television with "Zorro" playing on it was
changed to "El Pollo" in the Gemstone version of "The Three Caballeros"?

Just a thought.
--
Dane