Nitpicking

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Tue Aug 19 15:22:47 CEST 2003

With the amount of traffic on DCML, it's hard to keep up. But I tried anyway, and I read almost all messages until now...

Daniël wrote:

> -- this email has been fully double-ckeched twice --

I guess this sentence is a direct invitation to nit-pick about typos and spelling mistakes. 8-)
(A very funny one, Daniël! I assume it's a deliberate typo.)

Dane wrote:

> > Kelly did draw many covers for the Disney comics
>
> The ones I've seen are great, featuring cover gags almost as
> clever as thoughs of Barks'.
>
> Thoughts?

I had to read this 3 times before I understood what you meant, Dane! I had never seen the word "those" written as "thoughs" before! And it's only 1 letter away from "thoughts", but pronounced very differently...
(I don't mean to be rude to you or anyone; I just thought this was a very funny typo.)

And here are some more off-topic statements about the mails of the past week, just "for the record":

1. The spelling of the pseudonym Moebius is not Moëbius.

2. Everyone can use Inducks whenever they like, but no-one is OBLIGED to use Inducks. Not even when mailing to DCML.

3. I think the words "respect", "friendly", and "serious" have been misused too much lately.

4. The number of occurrences of "David Gerstein", "Olaf Solstrand" and "Don Rosa" on the Web indicate how many webpages and messsages are not only ABOUT them, but also TO and FROM them.

5. I think the work of Mau Heymans and Daan Jippes should be discussed more on DCML.

6. Inducks is not "a great example of Scandinavian co-operation". It's a cooperation of many people, including Scandinavians.

7. Gemstone covers will get Inducks codes starting with XUC, unless Gemstone comes up with their own (printed) codes.

8. The French pin-ups in PICSOU MAGAZINE have never stopped: there's still one in every issue.

9. Two people have now used the term "self promotion" on DCML. I have no idea what it means, but to me it sounds much more negative than the writers must have intended.

10. "Harry Fluks" gives 3710 hits on Google. The combination of "Sigvald" and "wrong" gets 194 hits, "Sigvald" and "right" gets 471 hits. This proves nothing at all. 8-)

11. The term "Little Bad Wolf" (in Dutch "De Kleine Boze Wolf") has rarely been used in the Dutch Disney publications since the mid-80s. The logo on the stories became "De Grote Boze Wolf", and Li'l Wolf is just called "Wolfje" ("Little Wolf"). I guess the Dutch editors found the term also too confusing for the readers.
This, however, is no reason to advice a different publisher to change the character's name accordingly. That would be ridiculous.

12. I've never heard of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but the name sounds delicious.

--Harry.