Geography in Luck of the North

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 12:04:48 CEST 2003

Sigvald:
>Even though it's theoretical possible for an iceberg to drift of from
>Greenland to the Alaska area it doesn't seem very plausible.

This particular story was reprinted in Finland quite resently in a hard
cover collection with new translation (using Alaska instead of Greenland).
Collection had an expert preface by Finnish adventurer, mountain climber
Veikka Gustafsson, where he mentioned that currents can drift icebergs
pretty far from their "place of birth".

>But if that was barks' idea I find it strange that it doesn’t confuse the
>Ducks to discover
>a Viking-ship in an area the Vikings as far as is known, never visited or
>explored.

Vikings indeed went amazingly far, in each direction, west, nort, south,
east. They sailed to northen part of America and visited quite certainly in
Alaska too. I bet Barks found out these theories and facts out of National
Geography.

Timo

^^''*''^^
Cartoonist - writer - donaldist -