On strips

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Fri Aug 22 17:08:40 CEST 2003

	Psalutations again, Eta,

>Indeed, here's the 3 perturbating points :
>	[2 points snipped]
>
>3. The company is planning a makeover of Mickey in order
>   to restore the character to its rightful position (in
>   their own way of thinking) of merchandising icon.
>
>It's especially point 3 that I'm worrying about, it seems to
>me that reprinting Gottfredson's stuff wouldn't fit with the
>concept of a "new image"

	And there you might be wrong! (-:
	The "new image" for Disney's Mickey is something that formally began
with the new Mickey TV cartoons in 1999. It is a return to the mischievous,
enthusiastic, adventurous Mickey of the 1940s- in short, a lot like
Gottfredson's Mickey!
	I've seen this Mickey wearing his red shorts, fighting with Pete,
Mortimer, and the Blot in the new TV cartoons (you read that right... they
did animate the Blot!), so you shouldn't worry too greatly that Mickey is
going to be drastically transformed...
	The "makeover" should really be just a greater attempt to make
Americans AWARE of this "new/classic" Mickey. What kinds of promotion this
will involve, I'm not aware of...

	David