Elves on the North Pole? But... they don't have trees?!

Ole R Nielsen oleroc at tdcspace.dk
Fri Aug 22 23:40:39 CEST 2003

I too was surprised to realize that Luck of the North, or "Donald Duck on
Greenland" as the story is known in Denmark, actually takes place on the
north coast of Alaska. However, looking at a map gives a distorted view on
just how far the two locales are apart, due to the Mercator projection: The
Inuit ("The Real People"), or "The People Around the Pole" inhabit the
northern coastal parts of Alaska, Canada and the west coast of Greenland and
consider themselves one people, regardless of national borders.
I see no reason to assume anything but that the Danish publisher
Gutenberghus back, when the story was originally published, thought it a
nice
touch to move the action to a more familiar place, and without harming the
story at all.

Oh, and my only Disney art adorning my walls at the moment is indeed a
poorly reproduced but fairly large poster from the weekly, Barks' oil
painting of the cover of "Luck of the North". And, oh-oh, my mother just
left today for her last annual trip to Greenland. Greenland Air will be
taking over the flights, and double prices. Perhaps Blue Yonder Airlines are
still in business and can offer a frequent flyer package to the Arctic?

--Ole