MM dailies -- "The Duckburg Times " ad (1981) / Hercules

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 28 12:13:48 CEST 2003

Hi everyone!

Sigvald:
>> FYI Horst Schroeder is a German name, *not* a Swedish name. He may thus
be a
>> German or Austrian who once moved to Sweden.

Well, I just copied the ad in The Duckburg Times, and I admit I just didn't
think about it (though I supposed he was German, indeed).

>>>I remember that movie did annoy many Greeks because Disney used a Latin
name
>>>on an ancient Greek God. The Greeks thus think that the correct title for
that movie
>>>and its hero as well, would have been Herakles. Hopefully some of our
Greek friends
>>>here can tell us more about this.

I mostly remember people were annoyed by the comedy treatment.
Intriguing point. "Hercules" is indeed not the Greek name. Yet I'm sure
Disney used "Hercules" merely because that's how he's called in English (in
French as well, without the "-s"), not because they didn't know his Greek
name. Maybe they should have used "Herakles" in the Greek dubbing-- then
it's Disney Greece that's responsible.

Olivier