MM dailies -- "The Duckburg Times " ad (1981) / Hercules

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Aug 28 16:13:34 CEST 2003

OLIVIER:

> I mostly remember people were annoyed by the comedy treatment.

I'm not so sure about the comedy part being the problem, given that one
version of Greek mythology that is popular over here is that by Tsiforos,
which gives the comedy treatment to the entire corpus of Greek mythology.
Tsiforos, however, uses humor to present all the sex and violence in the
myths, not as a substitute for them, thus preserving the original stories.

> Maybe they should have used "Herakles" in the Greek dubbing

The movie was called "Iraklis" (Heracles) in Greek, so I assume that this
was also the name of the character in the movie in the dubbed version.
Besides, I don't think there is any way of using the Latin name (Hercules)
in Greek!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Fame is the accumulation of misunderstandings around a well-known name."
-----