SV: Re: Names and statistics

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Aug 30 20:56:02 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com> wrote:

> It's an attempt to make you understand that
> people can be Swedish even though they don't
> have a typical common Swedish name. Also:
> One can be Swedish and still have a German
> name.

Maybe so, but this time my suspicion was proven true.

>> I don't know why the name Horst occurs so
>> much more frequent in Sweden than in Norway,
>> but a good guess would be that it is because
>> Sweden wasn't invaded by the Germans from
>> 1940 to 1945. Just remember that the Swedish
>> king from 1950 to 1973 was named Gustav 6
>> Adolf. I can't imagine that a Norwegian or
>> a Danish king could possibly have used the
>> name Adolf after WW2.
>
> Oh no... That can only mean... Horst Schroeder > is really Hitler? :-)

No, no, no you are taking my statement way to far!

> And, correct me if I'm wrong, as Swedish
> monarchy has never been one of my favourite
> subjects, but... if he was king from 1950
> to 1973, wouldn't that mean he was given
> that name _long before_ WW2?

Yes, but with kings it doesn't work just like that. Our next king can freely
choose if he will be called "Haakon VIII" or "Haakon VIII Magnus", so that
Swedish king could in 1950 freely have chosen to be called Gusav 6 without
using the Adolf name. He chose to use it - well OK a name is just a name I
guess, but I doubt that could have happened in Norway or in Denmark.

Sigvald