SV: Re: Names and statistics

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Aug 31 23:00:50 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand:

> First: The original statement, that Scroeder
> is Swedish, still stands.

No, it don't. At least two of our Swedish friends have stated very clearly
that he is a "native German". So he is a German, or if he has gained Swedish
citizenship he can be called German-Swedish, just like the Norwegians ho
went to America is called Norwegian-Americans – a describtion that can also
be used on for example the famous actress Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3) who
has four Norwegian grandparents.

> Nobody has been able to tell yet whether he's a
> Swedish citizen or not,

But, that's irrelevant in this case. It is his origin, not his passport,
that explains his name.

> Second: Why on EARTH are we discussing that?

Because it sounded strange to present a person with a German name as a
Swede, without giving a good reason for it. However I don't blame anyone for
that assumption, because we can't expect that people outside Scandinavia
should know that Horst is *not* a typical Scandinavian name.

So please let this debate end here. It should be easy to agree that Horst
Scroeder has a German background, but is known for what he has done for the
Swedish Disney/Donaldist society. And based on statements from people who
know him; he is a nice guy – and that's the most important thing here.

Sigvald