WDCS 638, cover

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Fri Dec 12 23:18:52 CET 2003

Arne:
> That might have been possible, but the colours are different on the
> Donald Duck Sonderheft, too. There Donald is painting the dog-kennel
> green, the sky is light blue and the fence is light brown. So maybe
> Gemstone changed a few colours or there's even a third colouring
> existing.

Amazing. I don't remember all the colours by heart, but in the Norwegian
cover Donald was painting the dog-kennel red. Which means that at least
three colourings exist - and, should we believe this statement in WDC 638
(which naturally we should unless someone can prove it wrong), these
colourings  are all made by Egmont.

Which both amazes and puzzles me. The question I first think of, is "why?".
I would understand it if an Egmont-colouring was changed by another
publisher (e.g. if Scrooge's coat had been coloured blue in an Egmont cover
used by Mondadori), but that's not the case. It has simply been changed. By
the same publisher. At least twice.

Another question must be: Has the "American version" ever been used in an
European publication (or, if Egmont publishes something outside Europe, in
an EGMONT publication)? Norway saw Donald painting the kennel red, Germany
saw him paint the same kennel green - has any Europeans seen him paint it
violet - in an Egmont publication? Finland? Poland? Anyone?

This new information fascinates me. I knew every publisher had own
colourings - but the fact that a single publisher makes three different
colourings is amazing. Apparantly, there's more to colouring than I
thought.

Olaf the Blue