Barks quiz - Twelve quotes of Christmas

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Dec 25 01:39:22 CET 2003

Here are some of the answers to the Barks Christmas Quote Quiz.

OLIVIER to me, 24-12-2003:

<SPOILER>

>>  1. "SELL him? For the love of jingle bells! Who would want a REINDEER?"

> Not me. How about a (hammy) camel?

Wrong.

>>  3. "It's going to be EASY to buy that turkey, it won't even be fun!"

> WDC&S something, where Donald decides to win a turkey in a raffle
> rather than buy it; and, of course, he enters a no-win luck competition
> with Gladstone. (WDC&S 136, Jan '52-- "Gladstone's Usual Very Good Year").

Correct. Panel 2.8.

>>  5. "Man! For that kind of surfin' I'll double my donation to the
>>     Christmas fund!"

> I guess that's from the surfing story, where Scrooge asks Donald to
> trade clothes so that he can avoid all the societies that want
> Christmas donations (WDC&S 280, Jan '64-- "Double Masquerade")--

Correct. Panel 8.8.

>>  6. "Here is the deed - all filled out! Sign it on the dotted line!"

> No idea.
> I can think of  only two deeds: "Donald's Bay Lot" (WDC&S 51, Dec '44--
> might be the one, calendar-wise) and "A Stone's Throw from Ghost Town"
> (WDC&S 271, April '63).

Wrong.

>>  8. "I'd be satisfied with something SIMPLE for a Christmas present -
>>     say a new GOLD MINE, for instance!

> Very funny. Maybe the one where Scrooge "bah"s at the calendar; the
> nephews want a chemist set, Donald a new truck, and the city new
> paved streets (WDC&S 268, Jan '63).

Correct. Panel 2.6.

>>  9. "I'll drive this pernicious pellet clear to Christmas!"
>>     (Picture shows a Barks character on a chimney.)

> Funny and certainly nothing to do with Christmas.

Indeed. At least not that I'm aware of.

>> 10. "By jingo! I'll lock up shop and go to Grandma Duck's for a
>>     Christmas vacation!"

> Gyro is overworked and decides to take a holiday at Grandma's farm,
> but naturally he can't stop inventing (Christmas Parade 8, Dec '56--
> "Grandma's Christmas Present").

Correct. It's 'Grandma's Present'. Panel 1.6.

>> 11. "Well, I'm on my way to Christmas dinner! Who says that CRIME
>>     doesn't pay?"

> Easy. The one where Donald disguises to talk Uncle Scrooge into buying
> him dinner. WDC&S 148 ("Turkey with all the Schemings") (Jan '53).

Correct. Panel 6.2.

>> 12. "Here goes, men! Merry Christmas, Mexican style!"

> A "three dirty ducks" story. Donald eventually gets the boys to
> actually want (or rather need) to have a bath, by leaving a pinata
> hanging in their snow fort; the thing is fileld with castor oil.
> WDC&S 184 ("Three Un-Ducks") (Jan '56).

Correct. Panel 10.2.

> Thanks a lot for this funny Christmas quiz!

Thanks for joining! You have only six more quotes to go! :-)

</SPOILER>

> some of  your quizes are hard enough, but here's a tough variant:
> instead of quoting a story and asking which one it is, how about
> giving a title and asking a quote (from memory) from it? ;)
> For instance, do you remember any quote from the Cuspidoria story
> (WD&S 172, Jan '55-- another variant: ask the story code and/or
> publication date)? I don't; only vaguely-- "Santa won't find us
> here!"

If you want to organize a quiz, just go ahead.
I like to pick out exact quotes.

Here are the remaining six quotes:

 1. "SELL him? For the love of jingle bells! Who would want a REINDEER?"

 2. "It's a shame to spend our Christmas savings, but what else can we
    do in a case like this?"
    (Picture shows a piggy bank.)

 4. "Yimminy Christmas! Heavens to betsy!"
    (Barks character reading a message, received from a bearded sonny.)

 6. "Here is the deed - all filled out! Sign it on the dotted line!"

 7. "If I can keep anything BAD from happening to it, I may get a
    four-dollar bonus for Christmas!"
    (Page shows a Disney character with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.)

 9. "I'll drive this pernicious pellet clear to Christmas!"
    (Picture shows a Barks character on a chimney.)

--- Daniël