JOC and Panchito

Armando Botto armando.botto at libero.it
Sat Feb 1 09:15:29 CET 2003

Hi Fernando!

You wrote:
> I was triyng to count, using the Inducks and the published strips here in
Brazil (as "normal" stories), precisally HOW MANY Sunday Strips exist of Zé
Carioca. I finish with the numer of 54 different strips, but since I don't
have all of then (and never read all on their original form) I can't say
it's correct!

Zé Carioca was featured in the Sunday Pages from October 11th, 1942 to
October 1st, 1944, for a total of 102 appearances.

> Another question, the Panchito strip is the same JOC strip, or both
existed during the same time?

The series is the same. It was titled "Silly Symphonies" from 1932 to 1942,
then the title was changed to the main character's name, so the 102 JOC
pages are simply titled "José (Joe) Carioca"; then the series becomes
"Panchito", from October 8th, 1944 to October 7th, 1945. However, Panchito
had already made a guest appearance in the "José (Joe) Carioca" strips, in a
story about a horse race (April to August 1944).

> All this JOC/Panchito strips are published in their original form
(tabloid?!) in the Netherlands?

I don't know, but I'm sure some of our Dutch friends will answer this
question!

> And about this Panchito's Sunday Strips, how many existed?

53 Sundays in total.

Ciao,
Armando