Scrooge vs. Euro

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 3 00:31:38 CET 2003

Regarding Scrooge's actions vis a vis changing old currencies to Euro:
I assume all the National Banks of the Euro Nations would have to base their
Euro printing (physical money supply)plans upon McDuck's exchange decisions. he
probably has a very large percenatage of the old currancies in circulation
(e.g. M1 -printed money supply).  If he chooses to turn them in all at once;
the job of physically counting the money will take a long time.  Each nation
might have to base their issuance of paper money on the phasing of that
counting, and the phasing of counting of the reimbersement Euro bills that
McDuck would surely want to start arriving as his old currency leaves his
possession.  In other words, he would not want to wait until they count ALL of
the money, before receiving new bills.

I assume that Scrooge would want to exchange all paper money and coins for the
new money, as he is not in the business of losing value. As he would need bills
to sniff at, and coins to dive into and swim in, he would want the replacements
to start coming not too long after the first shipments of old denominations
leaving.  This would have required the National Banks contacting him
immediately as they made the decision to make the monetary conversion. That
would have initiated the exchanges with McDuck, on the first day that the new
denominations were ready for the public. That process probably would take many
months, or a few years. The rate of the Banks providing new bills to him would
determine how many new bills and coins would be available to the general
public.  My own guess is that they would start such a process with McDuck,
Glomgold and Rockerduck, long before the announcement of the exchange is made
public (for knowledge of the bulk of the population).  Such a policy would not
be necessary for dealing with most billionaires, large corporations or foreign
governments, as 99% of their dealings are on paper (in computers)only.  It is
only these three money fetishists that would have to be accommodated in this
way. As all governments aspire to having a given (optimum)percentage of printed
and coined money in circulation at any one time, their actions towards that
goal would depend strongly upon the decisions of those three money-grubbing
plutocrats as to the speed with which they want to effect the exchanges of
their soon-to-be-valueless money. I doubt that ANY of those three would want to
keep more than a few special bills or coins for sentimental reasons.

Rob
Klein