Two questions

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Thu Feb 6 10:49:54 CET 2003

I don't remember if this was already answered (the mail was still in my "inbox").

Ola asked from a snowy Stockholm:

> In the latest issue of the Swedish Kalle Anka there is a
> tribute page to
> Gladstone Gander but in one panel there is a kid shown with the same
> curls as Gladstone and he is presented as one of Donalds nephews. If I
> remember correctly he is not. He is some kind of relative to
> Gladstone.
> The panel seems to be by Strobl. Does anyone remember who he is and
> where the story was published ?

This sounds like Dexter, the guy from a story in Donald Duck #69:

W DD   69-04, 8 pages, "Double Date"

Only reprinted in Holland, Brazil and Italy (as far as we know).

> In a one page gag (by Barks I think) I remember that Scrooge
> reads on a
> sign that someone (Washington ? ) threw a coin over this river. So
> Scrooge throws a coin over the river and rows terribly fast across it
> and captures his own throw. Was it Washington and why did he throw the
> coin in the first place ? It seemed to be an authentic
> historical fact.

This is indeed about Washington throwing a coin over the Potomac river (where, I think, Washington city was then founded). I don't know the details about this piece of American history, though.

--Harry.