Bombie's hair and other colors, French translations...

goofy313g@aol.com goofy313g at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 13:20:52 CET 2003

 Hi!

DON ROSA:
>>> Why do you say Bombie's hair is black in Barks' original story?

Sorry, I meant, "in the french publication of that story"

>>> More sabotage, eh? (sigh)

Indeed! makes me think that i'd love to work as the French translator
of Disney stories. Do somebody know if it requires some special studies
or graduations? they need a real Disney comics fan for this job, not a
simple guy who even doesn't keep the same names from a story to another...
This is the exact French translation : (the nephew at the left says:) "Il
y a *51* ans qu'il exerce son métier d'inventeur! j'avais presque oublié!"
It's weird, because PM sometimes recognizes Don Rosa's theories and his time
line, and sometimes, they do as if it was to be included in the weird-magic-timeless-logicless-stupid Disney comics universe... This makes me
think about the french version of another story of Don Rosa in which we can
read, on the destinations board in the airport, "Mickeyville" (Mouseton), a
decision of the translator, not a decision of Don Rosa, as he chose to ignore
the existence of this city...

OLIVIER:
>>> The coloring is indeed of  the "Bleeeeeuuuuuuargh" sort-- especially the sick
>>> brownish-greenish-whateverish thing that recurs throughout.

Yes! and not only the colors are ugly, even the ink is strangely put on the papaer,
i don't know how to describe this, it's like when you draw with a ink pen on a wet
paper... I heard that instead of hiring professionals, they ask the people who also
sell them the papaer to deal with the colors and the printing too, and so they have
a special price... they'd better publish the stories in Black and White!!! Why don't
they hire the same colorists that Mickey Parade's? they are fine!!!

Bye!!!
Gilles